Have you ever wanted to hook up your robot to your iOS device? Now you can utilize Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy (BLE) technology in your robot with the BLE Mini. The BLE Mini requires only a serial port for communication so it supports all major development platforms that have UART interface including Arduino, ArbotiX-M Robocontroller, Geekduino, Raspberry Pi, etc. In addition, you are given access to all Ti's CC2540 I/O pins and the ability to upload firmware via USB, making the BLE Mini an ideal development/protoyping board for your BLE project/accessory/Appcessory.
For simple control of your project you can use the example BLE mini app on the iTunes store. For custom applications, you will need to develop your own app which requires you to be enrolled in the iOS Developer Program. Example code for all the Redbear apps is avaialble to help you get your app started.
- An iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad mini, iPad with Retina display (4th gen), iPad (3rd gen) or iPod touch (5th gen) plus the App from iTunes App Store. You could also develop your own iOS App using the open source SDK or iOS's CoreBluetooth Framework.
- Or a second BLE Mini (require Central role support which will be available in March 2013)
- Simple interface - with the pre-loaded firmware code name 'Biscuit', you could easily connect to any development board or IC with UART interface.
- Compact form factor - this is a very popular request from makers using smaller Arduino boards like Arduino Mini/Micro/Nano/Pro Mini etc.
- Support Central or Peripheral role - it can connect to other BLE Mini or BLE Shield, not just iOS device. (Central role support will be available in March 2013)
- Standalone operation - Ti's CC2540 is a SoC (System-on-Chip) IC that can operate without any external microcontroller. You can develop your own firmware using IAR Embedded Workbench, all I/O pins of CC2540 are accessible.
- Firmware upgradable - develop your own or download a "pre-packaged" firmware and upload to BLE Mini via the USB connector, Ti CC Debugger is not required.
- Provision for connection to external antenna.